Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Persuasive Writing

 Should College Athletes Be paid



Should college athletes be paid? What do you think? Don’t worry. I will give you some time to think. Few minutes later: I think college athletes in very popular sports colleges should get paid. What I mean by that is that there are some colleges and leagues which are really popular and good in college sports. So I think that the athletes in those colleges or leagues should be the ones who should get paid. If not every sport, then at least pay the athletes from the the 5 major sports (basketball, baseball, football, hockey, and soccer). I hope after this you read this, you will think just like me on this topic.

On March 13, March Madness (NCAA Division 1 Championship) begins with Selection Sunday. Like the name says, the tournament is “Madness” because 68 teams (they made it by either winning  their conference or getting an at- large bid which is that you are one of the best teams in the country but you don’t win you conference tournament) compete in the tournament. Even by getting this far, the athletes don’t get paid. They go through the madness but get nothing in reward. Also many people bet on which team will do what. Tv companies and colleges get paid for the “Madness” too!



My second reason I think that college athletes should be paid is that everyone else gets paid except them. Tv companies and other broadcasting companies get paid by showing them on TV. Colleges also get paid for the athletes work. Even coaches get paid though they do work hard coaching the players so they deserve to be paid. The athletes work hard too but they don’t earn money like the coaches.

That now gets us into my third reason that I think college athletes should be paid. Like I said in the my second reason, the athletes work really hard but they get nothing in reward (money). The athletes go to hours and hours of practices a few times every week until the season is over. They get some stress because they have to travel all over the country (or part of the country because it depends on conferences) for games. The athletes  also put in all their effort to win and they even have to face injuries along the way.

People have told the NCAA corporation a lot of the similar reasons I have told you , but the NCAA says that the top colleges give free scholarships just for sport talent. The NCAA corporation says that the the free scholarship is just like earning money from playing a sport. That means that the scholarship covers the cost you would earn if you played a sport. I think that college athletes should earn more than the scholarship itself.

Think about Lebron James, David Ortiz, Tom Brady, and Patrice Bergeron. All of them went to college and continued their sports career. Imagine the people who were really good at sports but did not want to go to the next level. They had a really good talent for sports but maybe they wanted to do programming. All of their talent went to waste. If they would of got payed, they could have at least used their talent to use. 

That concludes my persuasive writing. I hope you understand why I want college athletes to be paid. I wish that you are on my side after you read this. This went into court and is still being decided. It is good to know that people are thinking just like me. You should too! I hope it happens and I wish that you do too!

What happened this year in the College Basketball Division 1 Championship is:



 







As you can see, the Final Four teams were Oklahoma, Villanova, UNC, and Syracuse. Villanova won the National Championship with a game winning 3-pointer. Kris Jenkins made the 3-pointer on the last second. It was awesome. The College Basketball season began in November and it finally ended  ended on April 4. It was a great season but like I have said many-many times before, it was bad that the college athletes did not get paid.

Bibliography:
Pictures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PemrxrmwJAo
http://www.ncaa.com/

Information:
ww2.kqed.org
printyourbrackets.com







 


No comments:

Post a Comment